How to download and install Microsoft Office 2019 for Windows
Beginning with Office 2019, all Office products for Windows that are available through Volume Licensing use Click-to-Run technology instead of the traditional Windows Installer technology. To deploy volume licensed versions of Office 2019 products for users in your organization, you'll use the Office Deployment Tool (ODT).
You'll need a broadband Internet connection with download speeds of at least 20 Mbps to download Office 2019 products. Note that Office 2019 products require Windows 10 and will not run on older versions of Windows
Step One: Register at the VLSC and Accept Your Software Agreement
If you haven't already, register at the VLSC and accept your software license agreement for the Office 2019 products you requested.
Step Two: Get Your Office 2019 Product Key from the VLSC
- Sign in to the VLSC.
- Select the Downloads and Keys tab.
- Find your Office 2019 product in the list and click its Key link.
- In the table beneath the name of the product, find your product key in the column labeled Key. The Type column for this key should say MAK, not KMS
- Copy the product's individual key from this table and paste it into a program like Notepad or click Export all keys: CSV just above the list of products to download a list of keys in comma-separated-values format (which can be opened with Excel). This list contains all Volume License keys associated with agreements in your VLSC profile
Step Three: Download the Office Deployment Tool (ODT)
- Download the Office Deployment Tool from Microsoft.
- When the download is finished, open it and follow the instructions to extract its contents to a folder of your choice.
- When you are finished, you should have a file named setup.exe and some sample "configuration" files that end in .xml. Delete the .xml files. You only need to keep the setup.exe file.
Step Four: Download and Prepare the Configuration Files
Download the configuration files that you need from the list below by right-clicking the link for the file you need, selecting Save link as…, and saving the file to the same folder where you extracted the setup.exe file in step three.
- Office Standard 2019 (32-Bit)
- Office Standard 2019 (64-Bit)
- Office Pro Plus 2019 (32-Bit)
- Office Pro Plus 2019 (64-Bit)
Next, follow the instructions below to add the product key that you obtained from the VLSC in step two to the configuration file:
- Right-click the configuration file and select Edit to open the file in Notepad.
- Look for the following string of text in the configuration file:
- In this string, replace #####-#####-#####-#####-##### with your MAK client activation key by copying and pasting the key from wherever you saved it. You should leave the quotation marks before and after the key.
- Save the file and close it.
If you requested more than one type of Office product, you'll need to edit the configuration file and add a different key for each product that you received a license for.
If you need additional customization for your deployment and have IT experience, you can use Microsoft's Office Customization Tool to create your own configuration files.
Step Five: Download and Install Your Products
Note that all earlier versions of Office will be uninstalled when you install Office 2019 products, so be sure to save and quit any Office applications that are running.
- Navigate to the folder with your setup.exe and configuration files.
- To prepare for the next step, you'll need to copy the name of the configuration file for the product you want to install. To do this, right-click the configuration file, select Rename, and press Ctrl+C to copy the file name. Then, click somewhere else in the folder to deselect the configuration file without making changes to its name.
- You'll need to perform the next steps using the Command Prompt, which is a text-based command-line interface that runs within Windows. To open the Command Prompt, hold down the Shift key, right-click somewhere inside the folder with the setup.exe and configuration files, and select Open command window here.
- Type the following into the Command Prompt, but replace "configuration.xml" with the name of the configuration file you copied by right-clicking and selecting Pastewithin the Command Prompt:
- setup /download configuration.xml
- When you paste the configuration file name, make sure to add .xml if it's not there already.
- It will look as if nothing is happening, but your product will be downloading in the background. The download will be a large file and might take a while to finish. Once the download is complete, you will be returned to the Command Prompt.
- When the download has finished, you're ready to install the product. Type the following into the Command Prompt, but once again replace "configuration.xml" with the name of the configuration file you copied by right-clicking and selecting Paste:
- setup /configure configuration.xml
- Again, make sure the configuration file name ends in .xml
- When your installation is complete, you'll be returned to the Command Prompt. Close the Command Prompt and return to the desktop. Your Office 2019 products will be installed and ready to use.
And that’s it! Your Microsoft Office software should be up and running!
But what if I haven’t yet purchased Microsoft Office?
Here at Genesis Technologies, we’re an authorized Microsoft reseller, meaning we have access to all Microsoft products. Whether it’s trouble with installation or missing files, Genesis Technologies has you covered.
Ready to get started? Looking for a price quote? Head over to our Microsoft for Non-Profit page to view all our Microsoft products or call our office at 800-433-6326.